PDA

View Full Version : 2WD Or AWD??

daza-b
Sunday 13th November 2011, 16:10
As some people may know im starting a new project on a V70, should i keep it 2WD or go the whole and make it AWD? i know with AWD there are benefits like more traction etc or is it just as good with 2WD??

t5 pete
Sunday 13th November 2011, 16:47
Awd for traction but it looks like the Volvo Awd systems dont like lots of hammer

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th November 2011, 16:55
The AWD system components have a tendancy to break down the more you push through them. Eventually you will need to replace one of the components and, with more and more AWDs being broken, SH parts are becoming rare or hard to find in good condition and you need bank loans to buy new parts from Volvo. And these cars aren't the easiest to work on due to the extra components being crammed into already tight spaces.

cherry1809
Sunday 13th November 2011, 17:02
Unless you chuck an extra engine in the back. Do away with the whole Volvo system then. Lol.

t5_monkey
Sunday 13th November 2011, 17:11
I reckon 2wd is better in real world driving most of the time - weight, cost etc...

4wd for ultimate traction and performance

daza-b
Sunday 13th November 2011, 17:14
Awd for traction but it looks like the Volvo Awd systems dont like lots of hammer

The AWD system components have a tendancy to break down the more you push through them. Eventually you will need to replace one of the components and, with more and more AWDs being broken, SH parts are becoming rare or hard to find in good condition and you need bank loans to buy new parts from Volvo. And these cars aren't the easiest to work on due to the extra components being crammed into already tight spaces.

Unless you chuck an extra engine in the back. Do away with the whole Volvo system then. Lol.

I reckon 2wd is better in real world driving most of the time - weight, cost etc...

4wd for ultimate traction and performance

sounds a bit 1 sided then lol suppose you can still throw a good estate sideways even with FWD :D

T5frankie
Sunday 13th November 2011, 20:28
for performance reasons the majority on this forum prefers fwd and manual mate

claymore
Sunday 13th November 2011, 20:37
sounds a bit 1 sided then lol suppose you can still throw a good estate sideways even with FWD :D
Going sideways just slows you down mate :)

daza-b
Sunday 13th November 2011, 20:49
Going sideways just slows you down mate :)

haha i know but its so much fun lol

M-R-P
Sunday 13th November 2011, 21:12
4wd pro's are limited to more traction off the line and less understeer when using high power engines.
Fwd's are cheaper to fix, lighter and once you're out of 2nd, you'll be as quick as 4wd. as for round the twisties, after all, it's still a big lump and you'll find yourself being careful whatever you got under the car.
Or go silly and convert to Rwd and really have a brown trousered giggle!

t5_monkey
Sunday 13th November 2011, 22:27
Volvos are about rolling acceleration and overtaking power.... traction isn't usually an issue then.

tim15888
Friday 25th November 2011, 19:19
FWD is better in my opineon. 4WD is more work to fix, more expensive to fix, more to go wrong, more weight, more power sapped before it gets from the engine to the wheels. Too be honest, if you have the same power in a FWD, your going to beat a 4wd even off the line unless it's wet. The only real pro's of 4wd are obviously handeling, and grip but they're too big to throw into bends propperly ayway...

foammanmark
Friday 25th November 2011, 19:27
As some people may know im starting a new project on a V70, should i keep it 2WD or go the whole and make it AWD? i know with AWD there are benefits like more traction etc or is it just as good with 2WD??

How's Morecambe? Going to be really windy tomorrow!

I wanted a V70R AWD, but was advised against it by other members and my local Volvo independant. If they go wrong, they go really wrong is what I was told. I wanted the AWD for the snow, if it ever arrives, but have ended up with the T5. Up to you at the end of day though!

LiamT4
Friday 25th November 2011, 20:03
Depends what you want it for.

4wd will always have the advantage off the line, especially when it gets wet and will help when putting the power down through bends.

fwd will be faster once there is enough traction as there is less weight, drag and less power is lost through the drivetrain.

mexybhouy
Saturday 24th March 2012, 02:15
And they laughed at the UR quattro at the time!!!!