PDA

View Full Version : Running on 4 cylinders, Emerald ECU

Flix
Saturday 5th May 2012, 19:50
Discovered that my Autograss car is only running on 4.
Definately a fueling issue, injector number 5 is not firing.
I've swapped the injectors round, still no number 5.
Am I right in thinking that it must be a broken wire, bad connection or ECU fault?
Any tips on what to try would be appreciated

MWT5
Saturday 5th May 2012, 20:54
If the loom was made for the emerald could possibly have a break in it or loose connection in the injector plug. Can't you change the wiring plug off the injector next to it and see if the problem follows the plug.
If it does looks like your stripping the loom back to find a bad connection or a break in the wiring.

Flix
Saturday 5th May 2012, 21:54
Will try that tomorrow, and check for continuity from ECU to injector plug.

Flix
Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:12
Is there a way to see if the injector is getting a signal from the ECU?

Volvostorm
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:38
Yes, you can use a noid light, it just plugs on to the plug that goes on to the injector.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-57798-INJECTOR-NOID-LIGHT-KIT-6-PIECE-/140615438997?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20bd555295

Flix
Sunday 6th May 2012, 08:14
Thanks Paul, ordered a set

Flix
Sunday 6th May 2012, 13:35
Checked wiring, all seems OK.
Got continuity between injectors and ECU, got 12v at injectors.
I'm thinking now that I'm on the wrong track.
Number 5 plug is clean/dry. If I remove plug leads one at a time, the engine note changes, unless I pull number 5, then no change. Got a good spark.
Engine has no knocks, bangs or odd noises.
Now thinking bent valve, could that give these symptoms?

glock19
Monday 7th May 2012, 07:43
You might have to remove the spark plug to have a look. Happened to me last saturday (5th May). I have fairly new plugs (less than a month old) and misfiring on cylinder 4 (pulling out the HT leads one-by-one with the engine running. Change a new set of HT leads - same problem. Then change another ECU - same. So moved on to removal of plugs. When I took out the fourth plug, a piece of carbon was squished between the terminal and the electrode. What a chance.

Clear the carbo soot, fixed back the old HT lead and car is on the move again.

Volvostorm
Monday 7th May 2012, 11:05
Try doing a compression check on the engine to.

Though, having a dry plug still points at being fuel related to me.

Flix
Monday 7th May 2012, 11:52
Will do a compression check this afternoon.
I've swapped plugs and injectors around, new leads, plugs etc.
Noid lights ordered, so they will prove the wiring for sure,I'm not good with electrics.

Flix
Monday 7th May 2012, 12:38
Compression test results,
From cyl 1
155,160,135, 145 and 160.
So it would rule out a mechanical fault, back to fuel issue I guess,

Volvostorm
Monday 7th May 2012, 12:40
Pretty much, 3 & 4 are a touch low, but not enough to cause major problems.

Flix
Monday 7th May 2012, 14:47
Removed injectors again, cranked engine while holding them, could feel pulses on all except number 5, swapped injectors, same.
So it would appear that my electrical testing skills are worse than I thought.:)
Now to find someone who has those skills.

Volvostorm
Monday 7th May 2012, 14:53
Has this problem just started? Could be a problem with the Emerald ECU, an injector driver might have burned out, the noid light will help

Flix
Monday 7th May 2012, 16:17
When I bought the car I changed plugs etc, and noticed plug 5 was clean. So it's been like it a while.
Might have to send the ECU to Emerald to be checked over.

Flix
Monday 7th May 2012, 19:52
Spoken to the guy who built the car. He thinks that it's an ECU issue. Either the driver has failed or somehow the ECU has been altered somehow.
Will ring Emerald, see if they can check the ECU and settings.

Flix
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 18:25
ECU gone to Emerald for testing/repair. Hopefully back in 7 to 10 days.

Flix
Thursday 10th May 2012, 17:32
Result. Posted the ECu yesterday, just had a phone call, injector driver repaired free of charge. Will get it back tomorrow.
Big thumbs up to Emerald.

Volvostorm
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:15
Thats great news :)

Well done Emerald too for being helpful.

Jamest5r
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:55
Result. Posted the ECu yesterday, just had a phone call, injector driver repaired free of charge. Will get it back tomorrow.
Big thumbs up to Emerald.

Always nice to get good customer service no matter where and when :)

kfc
Thursday 10th May 2012, 23:51
Always a good recomendation. When you here it on a place like this.

Flix
Friday 11th May 2012, 06:29
Receivedan email from Emerald, stating that the driver had possibly been overloaded.
He suggested I check the resistance of the injectors, should be between 10 and 16 ohms, easy enough.

But then suggests "Also check that there is not a +12v short to the injector signal wire, i.e. between +12v and ECU pin 1."

Can someone explain in electrical numpty terms? Thanks

bubba_1986
Friday 11th May 2012, 11:47
He means get a meter and check continuity between +12v supply and pin 1 on the ecu.U know when u set the meter so it beeps/buzzes when u touch leads together. Put one lead on the +12v supply and other lead on pin 1 of ecu. If it beeps u have a short, well according to what u say. If it doesn't and gives u a infinite reading u are ok

bubba_1986
Friday 11th May 2012, 11:48
to check the resistance of the injectors set your meter to ohms and within the 0-100 range, or lowest u can. Use both leads either way on terminals of injector and take the reading off of the screen and compare

Hope this helps

Flix
Friday 11th May 2012, 17:41
Thanks Bubba, makes sense now.
Tested injectors all read 14.5 Ohms.
Will check for a short later. Had a word with the electrician, he says a short would be obvious, melted solder or burnt wiring.

kyboy
Friday 11th May 2012, 22:01
Dave walker at emerald is a top man, always willing to help and a clever bloke, got a few mates who have had work done there, and can't praise them enough!

Flix
Saturday 12th May 2012, 16:16
Tested wiring as Bubba suggested, no faults, so refitted ECU.
Running on 5 now, sounds much crisper and livelier.
Thanks guys for the help and advice.