PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Overhaul?

woody
Wednesday 27th June 2012, 09:32
Hi all.

If I was to acquire a tired Turbo, where would you get it overhauled? Turbo Technics? Or would you just not go there? :nono:

Thanks in advance :B_thumb:

d2k
Wednesday 27th June 2012, 09:55
Hi all.

If I was to acquire a tired Turbo, where would you get it overhauled? Turbo Technics? Or would you just not go there? :nono:

Thanks in advance :B_thumb:

interesting thread....... :wink:

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 27th June 2012, 15:19
Knotty one that. I suppose it depends who is doing it. Nothing offends like a few chunks of impeller down your pistons.
A good refurb could be better than a bad aftermarket turbo.

I have an 18T that I bought secondhand - but I daren't fit it because I want it checked over and set up correctly.

woody
Wednesday 27th June 2012, 15:27
Knotty one that. I suppose it depends who is doing it. Nothing offends like a few chunks of impeller down your pistons.
A good refurb could be better than a bad aftermarket turbo.

I have an 18T that I bought secondhand - but I daren't fit it because I want it checked over and set up correctly.

Those were my fears too!

Just out of interest, what sort of money do OEM 19T's command from the stealers?

t5 pete
Wednesday 27th June 2012, 16:55
19t's normally go for around £200 these days best thing to do is pm rufe off here and get a price on a new one then compare it to a second hand one and then the messing of getting it refurbed.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 28th June 2012, 14:20
19t's normally go for around £200 these days best thing to do is pm rufe off here and get a price on a new one then compare it to a second hand one and then the messing of getting it refurbed.

I should sit down before seeing the quote on that one!

t5 pete
Thursday 28th June 2012, 14:35
I should sit down before seeing the quote on that one!

It has been some time since i knew the price but im sure it was £500+ for a new unit.

I think my 18t that i have on the volvo was over £300 for just the recon never mind buying the turbo

p fandango
Thursday 28th June 2012, 14:38
i paid £500 for my unused Volvo 19t but that wasn't from the dealer, it had never been used as the person bought it then decided to go bigger. Did get £60 back by selling the recirc valve on ebay

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th June 2012, 16:21
It has been some time since i knew the price but im sure it was £500+ for a new unit.

I think my 18t that i have on the volvo was over £300 for just the recon never mind buying the turbo

380 quid with the vat for a full rebuild new core etc etc.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 28th June 2012, 16:34
380 quid with the vat for a full rebuild new core etc etc.

Cheaper than a new engine... Oh I so want to try out the 18T but I don't think I will ever get round to fitting it :(

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:03
Might have the one off my saffy avaliable soon was rebuilt 18months ago.

woody
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:22
Might have the one off my saffy avaliable soon was rebuilt 18months ago.

Sounds interesting! :cool:

Jamest5r
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:25
I might be breaking it

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45131

stephenevans99
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:28
There's a company less than a mile up the road from me who have an excellent reputation locally. Take a look.... http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/

jardon
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:30
Owen Developments near Oxford. My 19t was rebuilt with Garrett wheels (turbine clipped) and both housings ported/polished. Highly recommended and I would use them again.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/

woody
Thursday 28th June 2012, 17:41
Owen Developments near Oxford. My 19t was rebuilt with Garrett wheels (turbine clipped) and both housings ported/polished. Highly recommended and I would use them again.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/

What sort of cost would you be looking at?

jardon
Thursday 28th June 2012, 18:02
I would ring for a quote Woody. The turbo was still in the box from Owens when I bought it from the original owner ie: I didn't commission the rebuild from Owens personally.