PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Whineing. Help!

hemihusky
Tuesday 21st October 2014, 16:36
So heres my cry for help comming home today in traffic i noticed a kinda funny noise on my car at first, sounded almost like a vaccum or boost leak like a whistle and whining sound, ive tried to eliminate everything it could have been, cant be clutch as it did it with the clutch up or down (clutch cable on my car is extremely creaky n loud atm so thought it may have been the release bearing going) did it stopped or moving (thought about wheel bearings) but it did react to boost, on full boost it would go away, but blipping the throttle would make it whine, isnt any issues with cams or top end as i can rev it up all the way using barely any throttle n no whine.

by the time i got home the weird whistle had gone to be replaced with a awful loud whining sound when i set off. wont do it on a pull just under a certain load that seems to be setting off from a standstill. she still boosts fine and theres no blue smoke out of the back like the seals have died.

car has the right oil level and everything (See jamesT5R i learned my lesson XD)

im wondering can i safely say that its my turbo and go begging if anyone has one for sale? this is my daily driver and needs to be fixed asap with little tools and little money so if anyone on here has a spare turbo? i would pay you as much money as i have on me and im a damn good tea maker if you help me replace it

ill add a vid when i drive to work towmorrow as im sure it will do it

oblark
Tuesday 21st October 2014, 17:46
Can you hear the noise when the engine is at idle ?

If you can it could be the power steering/alternator belt tensioner pulley or idler pulley.

My turbo would only whine when it started to boost.

hemihusky
Tuesday 21st October 2014, 18:40
i had a search round that area as my old red T5 had that issue but this is a differant noise and its definetly comming from towards the back of the engine on idle. ill get some videos towmorrow, gonna also try testing if theres any inlet leaks or something as it started off sounding like a vaccum leak then turned into whining

M-R-P
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 08:06
Split inlet hose at the compressor end?

hemihusky
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 09:46
So lil progress. The turbo isnt at fault ive checked everythinv but today this droning noise is comming from right where the cam pulleys are. Could it be a camshaft bearing? Heres a quick vide

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0onbb7p9tcq6hue/20141021_200920.mp4?dl=0

oblark
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 09:54
Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine if noise has gone refer to post No. 2

If it`s still making the noise it could be the water pump.

kyboy
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 11:04
Could be power steering pump or aircon pump!

hemihusky
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 11:18
Ill try fashon something at lunch to get the belt off as its a stupid size square drive

Saaamon
Wednesday 22nd October 2014, 11:20
Ill try fashon something at lunch to get the belt off as its a stupid size square drive

I cut the end of a spanner off then put an adjustable on what's left.

glock19
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 02:22
Remove the serpentine belt and start the engine if noise has gone refer to post No. 2

If it`s still making the noise it could be the water pump.

Apart from that : (1) Alternator (2) Aux Belt Tensioner Bearing (3) Anything connected to the Aux belt

Ettienne
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 06:43
Pas pump? Spray with wd40 see if anything shuts up.

hemihusky
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 10:21
Sprayed all outside pulleys n ect to no avail removed the belt after a lot of swearing and still the noise emits from the cam cover so just gonna do a entire timing belt kit replace then I KNOW its done and with some luck the noise will dissapear

Doingitsideways
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 10:33
Def change the water pump while you're at it.

I changed the Father in law's on his C70, it was truely frightening how bad his water pump was and it didn't even make any noise to speak of. The pulley wobbled all over, the bearing was so knackered!!

Ettienne
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 11:13
Def change the water pump while you're at it.

I changed the Father in law's on his C70, it was truely frightening how bad his water pump was and it didn't even make any noise to speak of. The pulley wobbled all over, the bearing was so knackered!!

Very very unusual as service interval on original water pump is 180k, belt is 90k. I would say most problems are caused when the original pump is changed for a pattern one at 90k when there is no need.

I know of a couple of people running original Volvo water pumps over 300k, seals and bearings in them are very good.

Doingitsideways
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 13:20
Prob quite right there.

No idea if it was a pattern one to be honest. I was too busy looking how bad the bearing was!

I was just changing the belt and pump as a matter of course as he hasn't had the car long and it was just over 90k I think with a very sketchy history.

hemihusky
Thursday 23rd October 2014, 13:27
In the service history this had its pump changed to a gates unit but yeah the noise has stopped this morning but I know its still unhappy