PDA

View Full Version : rattling noise from the serpentine belt area!

Babybadger
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 11:33
Does anyone know what the rattling sound could be around the serpentine belt area? It seem to quieten down when the engine has been running for a while. I thought it could be the tensioner but do they have idler wheels on them?

It doesn't affect performance in any way.

Thanks in advance

Babybadger

Justin
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 16:51
Possibly AC pump :(

fireclown
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 17:03
hi the auto tensioners tend to rattle but normally whe the ac is on. try it with it on and off. i think you can pack them with grease. otherwise try a new one.

GATHY
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 17:58
id get it looked at straight away
could be water pump on way out or cambelt tensioner and we all know what happens next //////clink dohhhh

better safe than sorry ive been burnt by a tensioner and it hurt my wallet
hope its simple good luck :B_steerin

weasel
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 21:32
i've got a squeal from there. changed accessory belt, lubed tensioner and still does it. spray a bit of wd40 and it goes...

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 00:09
i've got a squeal from there. changed accessory belt, lubed tensioner and still does it. spray a bit of wd40 and it goes...

you've probably got a dry bearing that is just starting to wear out... spraying WD40 on will slow down the amount of wear....... use it as an early warning sign before it goes good and proper...

fireclown
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 01:04
id get it looked at straight away
could be water pump on way out or cambelt tensioner and we all know what happens next //////clink dohhhh

better safe than sorry ive been burnt by a tensioner and it hurt my wallet
hope its simple good luck :B_steerin
i should pull yor serpentine belt off and see if it still rattles. if it does it could be what Gathy has mentioned. if it still rattles with the belt off dont run it.

Babybadger
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 01:06
what mileage do serpentine belts and tensioners have to be changed at? Changed @ 60k miles according to stealer

Do the tensioners need adjusting regularly?Auto spring adjusted so spring will need replacing, hamish says its best to get whole unit of tensioner

The cambelt was changed at 72000 kms (now at 85000kms) to be on the safe side as I didn't know how it had been driven before I had it. Actually Nov2004 at VT, I am sure Hamish would have checked the cambelt tensioner at change ;-) He did and it is hydraulic, so I doubt it that.

I haven't recharged the AC since I have had it, and it was ice cold and still is. The pump does click in cycle every 5-10 seconds. But this has always done this since I have had it (june 2004).

Sounds like I should get serpentine belt and tensioner changed and not drive it until I have.Will be on order from VT along with brakes